a saab graveyard

Media related to saabs and/or rally
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: a saab graveyard

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I agree with Luke.

The early cars are getting so hard to find. Those accessories are even rarer. Even if you dont need the stuff you should snag it now before its gone. Certain trim, gaskets, lights, etc. are becoming extinct. You could probably turn a small profit on some of it. Wouldnt hurt to hoard some treasures if you have some extra room. Those overriders are cool! And that bumper doesnt look too bad either.

If that windshield seal is in good shape Ill take it. Ill throw some money your way to cover your costs etc. I'll be happy to have one that is good enough to put on the car. I need a really clean set of black door panels as well as the ones that go under the 1/4 windows. I need a nice clean set of doors for a 69-73 2 door car. At this point if they are clean enough I may be willing to pay to have them truck freighted to me in PA. There are only a few more pieces left to collect for my 71 project.

Windshield gasket
Doors
Interior side panels
99 LCA bushing blocks

Those are the major bits Im missing.

Most of the little stuff can come off almost any 99

I could stand to have a small segment of the locking strip for reference.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 pm

I ended up getting lots of parts. The windshield on the red '71 is intact and the rubber looks good. But they would cut the rubber to remove the windshield. Its $100 I believe and they said they'd ship but it would cost extra and they wouldn't guarantee it from breaking.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm

What if I gave them 100 bucks to hit the windshield with a hammer and get the gasket out intact. It would be cheaper to ship anyway.

I have a windshield in nice shape. I could probably find a later 99 gasket, but the lock strip on the later cars are fatter than the earlier cars.

You can get them out without damaging either the gasket or the glass. It just takes a couple of people and alot of patience.

sweedspeeduk
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby sweedspeeduk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am

Luke wrote:Image

That roof rack is actually an OEM accessory, I've never seen one in real life, but I have an old accessory catalog that shows it. There was that version which was a permanent installation and the removeable version that I have on my '79.

I think it would be really cool on an early 99 16V turbo sleeper, with some wide steelies etc... Throw some vintage luggage up there and no one would see you coming.

Also a rear hitch for a chrome bumpered 99 can't be too easy to find either.

That car looks ace love the faded / sun burnt paint work !

Like Luke said drop a t16 into it with some wide steels and semi slicks :yay: :rock on: :rock on:

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes, #2402 has the permanent luggage rack. I looked at it and its in pretty good shape and is all there. That car also has the early style perforated headliner.

Powar

Postby Powar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 am

Argh. I'd love to have that rack for my '78. And the rear bumper and hitch for my '70. And and and.

Jesus. I would've shit myself if I had found those cars here.

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 am

Would you like me to try and get those parts for you? I can talk to them. That car also has the old perforated style headliner ..

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:06 am

I'm pondering whether to buy the windshield, and smash it to get that gasket.

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:16 pm

I still have a good gasket since we busted my windshield trying to remove it carefully. I can ask him, however he was convinced that there was a company that could make them for us here in Seattle. I have a number for them but have not yet followed up. If that really is the case, then I would donate mine to get that done and do a minimum run once cost is figured out. I bet they could potentially sell out via ebay if I paired a good lock strip kit from Restoration Specialities.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

I've seen some windshield gaskets made for other old cars with standard extruded rubber which was then cut at angles and glued together. Could be done with a spare 900 gasket, if you'd stop whining about the strip being the wrong width. :P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 pm

The gasket was specific to the early cars. I have found many later 99 seals, but they are different. I don't want to have mismatched trim on the car. I have been collecting pieces to do a really righteous resto-mod for 14 years. I'm not going to compromise all of that with a part that is out of place on the car.

They only used this gasket on the 69,70,71 cars not sure about 72 though.

If I have to smash a perfectly good windshield to get the right gasket I may just have to do it at this point. When I cut the seal 13 years ago, the dealer could still get them. Just wish I was ready to buy it at that time.

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:15 pm

OK.. I believe that car is 1971, I see what I can do.

Do you think you might be able to get me a 77 seal then? I'm pretty sure my original is good, but I'd love to have a spare.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I can try to grab the next nice one i see.

Return to “Photos and Video”