Perryville Farm & Forest Rally

Media related to saabs and/or rally
321go
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Perryville Farm & Forest Rally

Postby 321go » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:17 am

Greetings from the midwest. This was the first running of PFFR by some of the 100AW committee. Was two C1's and I really liked the one day format - tow down and goof off Friday night, a good day's rallying on Sat., and home early Sunday.

Photos: http://swimdude0614.smugmug.com/Cars/Pe ... 75_KjfJL77
If you look close, you'll see the Contour running Saab sunburst wheels :) He used to crew for us and has tons of Saab's but bought a Ford rally car. Price was right.

The rally went well and the SAAB perfomed well. Was breaking in a brand new co-driver, but he was very prepared and did a great job. Took it pretty easy the first stage as it'd been a year since my last gravel rally and the roads had lots of fresh, loose, slippery gravel that did nothing for my confidence. Improved by 10 sec. on the second pass. Next 2 stages were a bit of the same. Somehow managed to get a time penalty for early check in but am pretty sure it was a worker error. Didn't argue it, but should have as it cost us 2nd place in the first rally.

Didn't have anything to work on in service, so looked it all over and started the second leg. Stage 5 was a fantastic stage. I felt much better and pushed harder and my time showed it. Stage 6 wasn't as flowing as 5, but did alright on that one. Was hoping for a real good time on the second pass of stage 5 road, but went a little wide on a left 3 and stuffed it into a ditch. We were slightly stuck and pinned against a barbed wire fence. Rocked it back and forth and got out, but right side of car has the scratches to show for it. Lost 20-30 sec. there, then the co-driver got motion sickness and couldn't call the notes so had to drive the rest as I saw it. Figured I'd lost second in class after that and just drove the last stage to finish. Found out later the Citation had an issue so we held onto 2nd place in class. Nothing to write home about time-wise compared to the other cars, but had fun and finished with the car in good shape.
I feel like I really need some help from the Team O'Neill school before I get any better at the driving part. It's either that or stick to co-driving.

Luke
Site Admin

Re: Perryville Farm & Forest Rally

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 am

Awesome, car looks great, sounds like a nice rally with the focus on good roads and seat time and less "super duper special spectator exhibition stage" BS like the nationals all have now.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:13 am

All these recent photos of Saab race cars actually being driven is throwing off my chi... looks like a really fun weekend!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Nice job, looks like a good time!
You midwesterners run some funny rally cars; Citation, Aspires, Contour, Hayabusa-powered Geo, some old Swedish car :P

Did the Geo finish?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

rgwright
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby rgwright » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Geoff wrote:Did the Geo finish?

No, it went out after the 1st stage with a blown clutch. I'm beginning to think that a motorcycle engined rally car is better to talk about than to do.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal

Postby KPAero » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 pm

That Geo is proving to be as reliable as it looks......

321go

Postby 321go » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:12 am

Geoff wrote:Nice job, looks like a good time!
You midwesterners run some funny rally cars; Citation, Aspires, Contour, Hayabusa-powered Geo, some old Swedish car :P

Ain't that the truth.
Fyi, Rob (two posts up) co-owns the rally car with me and was the chairman of this rally. Looks like he just joined the site.

Return to “Photos and Video”