Sad Sonett.

Media related to saabs and/or rally
number9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Sad Sonett.

Postby number9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Went for a country drive in Western MA. today .Came across this mess in an old junkyard.Something told me there might be something worth a look and I didnt think I would be up this way again so better do it now.
Attachments
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Sad Sonett.

Postby Jordan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Where abouts in Western MA?

number9

Postby number9 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Actually its more central then western ,I,m going to go pick some bits off it, want anything?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Some assembly required
I am the 73%

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 am

That is SAD! I see the radiator is still there and the 2 brake fluid bottles are there also. Those bottles are hard to find not cracked all to hell. always good to have a radiator core , even for just the tank ends.

number9

Postby number9 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 am

You can still get the reservoirs new,same exact from Burton Power in the UK.Other kit cars parts concerns in the UK will have them as well[comes with same brackets and the daisy shape caps]about twenty dollars each.
I,m going to go salvage everything thats left[i want the trans]and he claims to have the doors stashed away somewhere ill post a pick if anyone needs them.

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 am

The defroster vents are hard to come by too. I last saw a pair on "the bay" jump well past $50.

number9

Postby number9 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 am

I bought the whole car[or whats left]let me know if you want anything. I'm keeping the engine/transmission.It had a key with ignition switch and i have the doors as well.

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff

Postby burnsside42 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 am

Timing Gears are good to have....
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

number9

Postby number9 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 am

Saved.Trans is locked up,water came out of it.Fellow says he has the windshield and wheels somewhere ,need to keep looking[the yards a real mess ].
Attachments
P1010006.JPG
P1010004.JPG

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun May 12, 2013 4:35 pm

number9 wrote:You can still get the reservoirs new,same exact from Burton Power in the UK.Other kit cars parts concerns in the UK will have them as well[comes with same brackets and the daisy shape caps]about twenty dollars each.
I,m going to go salvage everything thats left[i want the trans]and he claims to have the doors stashed away somewhere ill post a pick if anyone needs them.

Thanks for the Hot Tip. Seems they have lots of good stuff.

number9

Postby number9 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes ,Got to love them hot tips.I got a few more.
Kodak film canisters are a perfect fit in 16 valve tappet bores.Cut the bottom out and use them to protect the bore when removing the valves.
Another is when you come across a posi drive screw on your 99 thats all buggered up from someone using a standard star screw driver is dip your posidrive in some valve grinding compound and that baby will come right out.
Anyway this is what I saved from the scrapyard Sonett.I will start a v4 overhaul thread as that seems to be where this car has led me too.
The scrap yard will save the front frame for me,[rust free]never know I may want to build a twin engine Sonett some day.
Attachments
P1010008.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010010.JPG

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am

it is often surprising how well some of those bits clean up when you see the rusty lump they fell out of.
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 am

Wow. Good for you for salvaging something off that car. I would have stood there for about 5 minutes gawking jaw-dropped and then moved on. I wonder what happened to it.

I often find myself creating possible scenarios in my head of what could have happened to some of the junk yard wrecks I find. Sometimes just trying to diagnose why they ended up in the scrapyard can be more or less figured out by looking through the transmission and engine. I found that '79 c900 5-door in the yard a couple of months ago and it looked perfect... except for the cracked and severed fuel injector lines. I can imagine that would lead to the scrapyard. I found a beautiful SPG about the same time with an S&R skidplate. At least it looked beautiful until I opened the hood and found that it had suffered rat nests and an engine fire. I imagined it sitting for years and gathering nests before some poor fool found it and tried successfully to fire it up only to light the nests and then the engine on fire.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 13, 2013 11:03 am

I think the Sonett was just ham handed by the guy in the yard with the fork loader. Probably had a rusty frame, and when lifted in the middle it just split in 2.

Probably had to make a Saab Kebob out of it to move it around. Are there stab wounds in the car?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Photos and Video”