1979 c900 5-door

Media related to saabs and/or rally
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

1979 c900 5-door

Postby RadioFlyer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm

More pics! These are from the '79 c900 5-door I found this weekend at the PickNpull. Sucks that it ended up there, but when I found out they would only sell it illegally and grind the VINS and would still charge me a ton of money, I figured it was worth picking.

The '79 and '80 had all these sweet little different things that later c900s didn't get. I love the dash details! The different headlight switch and the little streaks of blue in the vent control knob. Then the unicorn... the 130mph speedo!!! I knew it existed. Apparently the rear corners have different sized housings than the '80+ ones, so I had to grab the hole housing and lenses together - the lenses have a chrome strip on top that matches the chrome strip across the taillight-less hatch (also grabbed). The front corners have the white stripe that turned black in '81. The rear vents have the silver stripe that also disappeared in '81. And of course, the double vented hood without a scratch on it.

But the coolest find of the day was all of the original paperwork and owners manual were still there in a waterproof case stashed under the seat. The original bill of sale was there - cost for the car was $7670 in 1979 along with a $1300 trade in on their 1972 Ford!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: 1979 c900 5-door

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:35 am

Still makes me sad.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 am

you should have gotten the whole car, and found a rusty car on CL with a clean title.

I really don't think anyone would know that you swapped vins.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am

Damn that dash fascia insert with the blue in the arrows is cool. My green car had a later one swapped in at some point and the early headlamp switch that's cocked 45* degrees doesn't fit.

Good haul, lots of rare stuff there.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 pm

No kidding. If I had enough money, I would have considered buying the whole thing, but they seemed pretty intent on charging a lot for it because it was "their reputation on the line" kind of thing. Plus, there was some damage to it - big scratch down the entire pass side, big dent in the rear driver side door and frame, and the way they fork-lift the cars there, it would not surprise me if there was frame damage underneath. Plus the salvage title if they titled it. If I were going to buy one from them, I would want to grab it before it got that far.

You're right though, it sucks to find one like this. I found a nearly perfect 1994 Commemorative Edition at the Saab&Volvo dismantlers in Rancho Cordova, CA a couple of years back. No damage at all. I offered them a few thousand for it, but they wouldn't bite. In the end, I did the same thing - bought all the rare stuff I could afford and made the best of it. "YA CAN'T SAVE EM ALL!" the guy said at the desk. I wanted to kick him in the balls.

There is another 5-door in Salt Lake, pretty close by this one in a storage yard. I tracked down the owner of the yard about a year ago and he was getting ready to evict the guy's 5-door. I was thinking about going back there and trying to find that car as a frame to swap everything over to. We'll see what I can find out.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

If the fender lip trim is in good shape, you should grab that too. 87+ cars used a shorter piece of trim. The early flat nose cars are getting scarce.

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Wow, that car was in primo shape. Better condition than my old one. Too bad it went to the yard.

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 pm

In the photo of the rear lid and hood in your garage / basement, What is the red colored car partially shown at the right?

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Looks like an old 60's Chrysler product. 63-64 Dart or Polara maybe??

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 pm

That's a Plymouth Valiant. It's for sale if anyone is interested.

Shan
Nickname: Shan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 15

Postby Shan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:The '79 and '80 had all these sweet little different things that later c900s didn't get. I love the dash details! The different headlight switch and the little streaks of blue in the vent control knob. Then the unicorn... the 130mph speedo!!! I knew it existed. Apparently the rear corners have different sized housings than the '80+ ones, so I had to grab the hole housing and lenses together - the lenses have a chrome strip on top that matches the chrome strip across the taillight-less hatch (also grabbed). The front corners have the white stripe that turned black in '81. The rear vents have the silver stripe that also disappeared in '81. And of course, the double vented hood without a scratch on it.

I've noticed that the rpm gauge goes up to 8k rpms too. Later ones were only up to 7k rpms.

Return to “Photos and Video”