Reading Hill Climb (lots of pics)

Media related to saabs and/or rally
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Reading Hill Climb (lots of pics)

Postby hutch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:20 pm

I went and watched the Hill Climb at Reading, PA today where the Saabrally crew was well represented and had a blast. I must apologize to everyone there as I had to dip out before saying goodbye to everyone, I had promised to pick someone up at 4:30 and time flew by waiting for the various delays after lunch and had to leave before you all came back down the hill. But I still have a great time and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the wide variety of cars that were there.

Anyway here are some pictures of everyone, the action shots where at Turn 2 so pretty early on.
Lined up:

Notch

SPG

Random Z car (this thing looked like A LOT of fun to drive)

Tan Beast

It was really cool to see all the different cars take this turn and how each one took a different line depending on power, weight, fwd/rwd etc. It was also pretty cool to hear people behind me cheering on 'those wacky Saabs'.

hutch

Re: Reading Hill Climb (lots of pics)

Postby hutch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:31 pm

So it was raining in the morning down here in Lancaster but cleared up so hopefully everyone got some runs in today. I uploaded the rest of the pictures from yesterday to show a few of the other cars at the event.

Amazing BMW's:

Back to Saab stuff

This was a nice engine from a small pack of Triumph's, I took these to send to my dad since he used to have a TR6 back in the day

Cool Lotus

Porsche, always cool to see out racing, which I had actually seen it driving

Can't remember what car, something strange like a Neon or Focus or something like that, pretty interesting intake setup

The 2 Tonne Jag

Cars lined up, always liked these VW's for some reason

This black VR6 sounded absolutely incredible, which I had gotten video

Crazy Merc, sounded eerily quiet was seriously fast

Obscenely fast Mustang

Another nice British roadster

And a final shot of the nice Z, there was an older one that crashed but I didn't get any pictures of it

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Great pics Hutch, I really enjoyed them! Glad you came to watch... maybe you'll come out and run your car next year? ;) I had a blast, although I had some "technical issues" - which will need to be corrected before the next event, again, my 88 SPG should win the "mileage award" - as so far, it has driven to, raced, and driven home under it's own power from each event. This one was pretty touch and go, as the... "after market" turbo has just about eaten itself now, BUT it still goes... Will be fixing that sometime this week. Also. 4 speed gearing is not the BEST with #7 primary drives. Frequently when coming into the really sharp corners, I was having to get down into 1st! which was really upsetting my normal feeling momentum.

I still had great fun, but I could pick up a LOT of speed in many different ways.
Less brake more gas!

aireeca
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby aireeca » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 am

Awesome photos, this one is going on my wall at work....

This was my first event and I'm not sure (aside from scheduling issues) why in the hell I waited so long. If anyone out there thinks this might be fun, it is. Go for it.

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14 am

DeLorean wrote:Also. 4 speed gearing is not the BEST with #7 primary drives. Frequently when coming into the really sharp corners, I was having to get down into 1st! which was really upsetting my normal feeling momentum.

You definitely weren't the only one to have this issue, now granted it was only one turn where I was standing, but a lot of cars started to lug right after they exited turn 2 as if they couldn't or didn't want to shift down into 1st gear. I can only imagine its very difficult to know which combo of speed and gear choice is the fastest way around each turn when you are only getting a handful of runs a weekend.
aireeca wrote:Awesome photos, this one is going on my wall at work....
This was my first event and I'm not sure (aside from scheduling issues) why in the hell I waited so long. If anyone out there thinks this might be fun, it is. Go for it.

Here is the original big photo if you are looking to print it out.

And yeah I'd love to do this event sometime but I definitely don't have the fab skills to make a roll cage to be able to enter. Maybe a nice beater Miata or something where theres tons of aftermarket parts to make it a little easier.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Wow, great to see you guys all out there! I really need to get my act together and get an engine back in the rally car so I can join you guys on the hill some time.

Paul's 99 just looks so cool with a old faded hood and the red doors...

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 am

Great shots Hutch !!
Luke , we want you to join us soon !! Want to drive " RED" this year ? There are 2 events left in the next 4 weeks and entry is still open.
I think the motor will stay together and my seat track is adjustable. It would be a great honor to be beaten in my own car. :yay: :crazy: PM me if you want in .

One last photo of "RED" from an old friend of mine , Dennis Kushner.
Attachments
Exit_Turn2.JPG

Return to “Photos and Video”