"RED" hits the wall

Media related to saabs and/or rally
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

"RED" hits the wall

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:11 am

These are 2 great shots of my big screw up last year that just surfaced from the photographer last week.
This was @ pagoda Hill Climb last year and I had never seen these shots before. The actual impact with the rear wheels off the ground is interesting.

Warning : Do not do as I did !!

That was "RED"s third event in June of 2014 and it took until August to put it back together. Just this last weekend We did the cars 8th event @ Weatherly Hill Climb and scored a 1st in class. I think I finished 40th in raw time in a field of 85 entries.
showed a lot of people that SAAB is not dead yet.
Attachments
IMPACT 2.jpg
IMPACT.jpg

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: "RED" hits the wall

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:03 am

looks like a good place for a hans device
I am the 73%

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 am

Yes , I thought the same thing. probably hit @ 50 mph or so. I was lucky as it was a glancing blow and not a90 degree dead on nose hit. I had no bruises anywhere on my torso afterward. I've been counting my spare change to add to the race budget.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:22 pm

I have a collection of projects gone wrong living on a wall. You need a print of that for your wall of shame.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:33 am

Yes, I already have the remains of the right front fender hanging on my shop wall complete with the crumpled "SAFE RACER" decal still attached. That hit slowed me down for a time, but I am trying harder again.

KIp Moncrief sent me a nice quote that I would like to live by : "Never slow down - Never grow old".

June 27-28 , I go back to Pagoda Hill Climb to try again with "RED". I expect to get past turn 7 this time and not on a rollback .

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 am

Knowing that you and the car made it out OK, those are some really cool action shots!

I'll be driving back from Delaware saturday morning but I'm hoping to come up and see the Saab's in action that weekend...

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:01 pm

900 COMPETITION CARS CAN TAKE A GOOD HIT....

WHEN I WAS RALLYING THE V4,MY CO-DRIVER DECIDED HE WANTED TO HAVE A GO AT RALLYING TOO....BUT IN THE 900....?

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED,ON THE SAME LOCAL RALLY,A FEW YEARS APART....

THE SILVER 900,I BUILT FROM FINDING IT IN A BREAKERS YARD.......

MARSHALS REPORTED HEARING THAT IT WAS THE ONLY CAR THAT THE DRIVER DID NOT LIFT,COMING OVER THE CREST.... :-O
WE TOWED IT 100 MILES HOME,ON A ROPE........ :yay: BUT, HAD TO FIT THE SPACESAVER TYRE,AS THE SUSPENSION WAS SO FAR BACK IN THE ARCH :rolleyes:

THE 900 EMS,WAS PUT THROUGH A CONCRETE WALL(ON A TARMAC RALLY),WHICH SNAPPED OFF THE COLD START INJECTOR FUEL LINE,AND STARTED AN ENGINE FIRE...A WEEK BEFORE THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN..... :huh:

WE SPENT ALL WEEK,CUTTING OFF THE DRIVERS WING,AND WELDING IN A DONOR ONE,READY FOR THE FOREST EVENT.....

THEN IT GOT ROLLED,BUT FINISHED THE EVENT.......
Attachments
File0131.jpg
GISBURN EMS NO.JPG
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Return to “Photos and Video”