who all is running T5 heads on b202's??

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
TurboWookiee
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

who all is running T5 heads on b202's??

Postby TurboWookiee » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 pm

lookin to do this swap, while my cars all ripped apart, and i happened to have a buddy thats in need of a 2.3 for his 9k so i'm gonna sell my PP 2.3 head, to fund my NG head swap, i have a 2.0 t5 head sitting around, along with a couple timing covers what mods need to be done to make this fit correctly? manifolds not a issue i'm gonna just build a custom manifold instead of redrilling for a c900 manifold.

i also figured i have a exhaust manifold built at the same time also,

i know the timing cover needs to be modified to fit the t5 head, anything else?? pics? drawings ect??? any help would be killer...

i'm gonning for 400whp using a gt3071, so am i gonna have to dig into the head and build a fully head again, or does the stock t5 head have the capability of handling 400hps? i was think of doing a PP and valve job while i was getting it decked and welded at the machine shop any info on this stuff?
it's only fun building saabs when u break them...

www.snailspeedcarclub.com western pa's only all forced induction car club

1990 SPG "Kaos" the project that some day will be completed
1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"
1987 Buick beater DD
i want a NG as a DD

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 pm

What's 400 hp in a 900 good for? I guess that sounds sorta negitive, if you think its cool......... its good for that. Are you building a drag car?

jt

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:56 pm

airsweden wrote:What's 400 hp in a 900 good for? I guess that sounds sorta negitive, if you think its cool......... its good for that. Are you building a drag car?

jt

Typically its used to try to make up for lack of driving skill, I know thats what I try to use my power for.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Luke wrote:
airsweden wrote:What's 400 hp in a 900 good for? I guess that sounds sorta negitive, if you think its cool......... its good for that. Are you building a drag car?

jt

Typically its used to try to make up for lack of driving skill, I know thats what I try to use my power for.

yes, that, and also its good for practicing how to swap c900 trannys.

Paul

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu May 01, 2008 7:37 am

If you want some practice, I have a 900 that actually needs a trans....... come on over and practice away.

I just couldn't think of where/how 400 hp would be good for me. The only place I imagine using all of it in a 900 would be the drag strip. Contrary to Luke's comments, that kinda power probably requires more skill........ at the very least just to keep from blowing stuff up every time it comes out of the garage.

TurboWookiee

Postby TurboWookiee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:02 am

wow hear we go again, with the tranny comments and that kinda power comments, like every where else, WTF... it's possible and 2 i don't give a shit about changing tranny's every weekend, and why does everyone allways say and make the same comments about that, there tons of people out there making over 300hps, in c900's
and also the car will be detuned for street driving, i just really wanna be able to put some decent numbers down on the rollers. again what does ne of this have to do with my head question.
thanks

1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"

1987 Buick beater DD

i want a NG as a DD

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 am

nice.......... thats great, thanks. I'm asking what you want to do with it out of actual curiosity and interest. Thanks for being civil as I try relay that your hp aspirations would probably put me "personally" in over my head as a driver and mechanic.

Josh

TurboWookiee

Postby TurboWookiee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:21 am

oh also what kinda power are you making luke?? don't u run a gt28rs??
i'm kinda thinking after talking to the guys at honeywell yesterday the gt2871 will be plently of turbo for the whp i want.
i'll be happy making 300hps on pump gas and a pretty concerative tune on the street, and something a lil wilder, tune wise for dyno and dragstrip trips.
why's everyone always so negative and stuff when it comes to making power in c900's
my views are i like driving c900's i wanna make some decent power and anything thats remotly different is so frown apon in the saab community??? why?
again i'm not trying to be a dick but i asked about a head swap, and it turned into the typical saab ur dumb thread... for wanting to make power.
thanks Wookiee

1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"

1987 Buick beater DD

i want a NG as a DD

TurboWookiee

Postby TurboWookiee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 am

airsweden, i'm building the car as a driver, i autox, and drag often, i know that those kinda numbers are gonna probally affect the performance at the autox alot but i also drag alot, so that's why i wanna do a kinda street tune and then also a drag tune. can we please get back to what the tread was actually about??GM(gary moore) makes around 400 hps, so do many others so i'm not to concernd about getting there.

1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"

1987 Buick beater DD

i want a NG as a DD

Raul

Postby Raul » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 am

I got GT28RS(GT2871R) And that thing spools very quick and I got less lag than stock turbo. I got 2.1L head and intale manifold. I only run 10 psi for now and I can't get enough of driving my saab, it is so much fone driving it with some good power. I plan on installing water injection and boosting it up to 20 psi and that will be even more fun.
Meanwhile I will build another powerplant with T7 head. As far as I know Luke dynoed at 280hp with only 14psi and that is plenty of power for fun. With 400hp I believe you will take the fun factor out of your car, it will not bereliable and something will brake resulting in very short fun factor.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu May 01, 2008 10:42 am

I think you are overreacting to the comments above. The Saabrally core group has a good sense of humor and in no way will discourage you from building a 50,000 hp turbine fan saab 900. The comments above are only from experience and more as a reaction of curiosity and possibly to test your desired goal in an attempt to see if you are aware of the things you will have to overcome. Airsweden on the other hand is probably the biggest asshole in the NE and is well known for his dealings in the midget slave trading business. I'd keep my steel underpants on around him if you know what I mean.
I am the 73%

TurboWookiee

Postby TurboWookiee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:46 am

thanks crazyswede i was starting to get the vibe i get from people on saabnet n such, any how can some please tell me what mods need done for the t5 head swap?? i know it involves modifying the timing cover. ne good pics of this or ne thing??

1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"

1987 Buick beater DD

i want a NG as a DD

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 am

I think you were doing fine until you started with the interweb speak of "ne1? OMG HI2U?!"

And Raul being the voice of reason is totally bizzare-o world :wink:

Anyway, It has been said that the hardest part of the t5/7 swap is reworking the intake manifold to fit correctly.

Check out the gallery for pictures.. http://saabrally.com/gallery/Car-Building/New%20Engine/

I guess maybe a lot of people don't understand the attraction of being a dyno queen and most of the time, people with your aspirations tend to give up and decide to put a big stereo and 19" rims on instead.

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Thu May 01, 2008 12:32 pm

I kinda want to come to Airswedens defense, and I kinda want to make a comment about aluminum wings...im torn.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu May 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Its all my fault......... I probably should have used some smiley face emo-cons in my first post :(

As for the midgets.......... I'm not into that stuff anymore man. Now its all about sex robots. I'm working out a container full from Lithuania, are you in Mongo?

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”