who all is running T5 heads on b202's??

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 pm

My car is stock. I still like it.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Thu May 01, 2008 9:16 pm

TRAILINGTHROTTLE wrote:My car is stock. I still like it.
lies.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Everyone likes a stock car until they do something to it. My car was great when it was stock. Now it's not. Would I go back? Hell no.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 pm

oh, im going to do something to it, that is for certain. :wink:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm

TRAILINGTHROTTLE wrote:oh, im going to do something to it, that is for certain. :wink:

ut oh, I hope your plans don't involve a brick and a large cliff.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 pm

Tons of unsprung weight, and a 300lb flywheel. Haven't you been paying attention? :P
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 pm

As is the case with most of the bits rolling out of the Luke Sport and Rally Workshop, I think the modded intake necessary for the swap could by sold to at least a few in this pack of wackos......... if available. Is there favorable economy in this or even time/interest on the part of the fabricator? I'm sure it must have already been considered.

trailingthrottle you really ought to be nice to the car that at least has a chance of overtaking a japanese minitruck. no disrespect to the germans!
Last edited by airsweden on Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 pm

the transmissions are very expensive, a rebuilt unit from erickson is $3,000 . by comparison, my upgraded T-5 93 cobra trans was $900 dollars. and it can handle 350Lbs of torque, it is also very labor intensive to swap trannies left and right. As far sa I am concerned, I am just doing some light tuning to my daily driver 900 turbo, these cars really dont tolerate any abuse, there are better vehicles out there if you are looking to make 400 hp, I love the c900 turbos and thats y i try to maintain it , take care of it, and appreciate it. it really is ....THE MOST INTELLIGENT CAR EVER BUILT!, just like the old add said, but go ahead just remember they blow transmissions left and right with 165 hp and less, imagine how fast it will break with 400 hp!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Rob wrote:the transmissions are very expensive, a rebuilt unit from erickson is $3,000 .

Well, they used to be $1500 actually they are up to 1700.00 now. Not cheap for sure, and I would not recommend getting an EI box, I have had bad experiences.

As for blowing transmissions "left and right" with 165 HP... well my friends 86 SPG that was stock it's entire life lasted over 200K before it failed, and even my 93 900-S (140 HP) made it to 120K, which I would consider a rather short run for one of the later boxes. Not that I don't think you could fail a stock box in short order, in this roadtest, after repeated standing starts they blew the trans in a brand new car! -
http://saabcentral.com/features/saab_90 ... o_t16s.php

So it can be done I guess if you are hard on it regardless of age or mileage...
Less brake more gas!

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Thu May 01, 2008 10:53 pm

no luke, RallyWV is what im going to DO to it.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 pm

airsweden wrote:As is the case with most of the bits rolling out of the Luke Sport and Rally Workshop, I think the modded intake necessary for the swap could by sold to at least a few in this pack of wackos......... if available. Is there favorable economy in this or even time/interest on the part of the fabricator? I'm sure it must have already been considered.

trailingthrottle you really ought to be nice to the car that at least has a chance of overtaking a japanese minitruck. no disrespect to the germans!

the other thing that would be good to sell if its feasible would be a modded timing chain cover plate, thats the other issue with making the T5 head work, the intake isnt a huge deal to make "work" just hard to get to be perfect.

Paul

TurboWookiee

Postby TurboWookiee » Fri May 02, 2008 12:39 am

thanks everyone for some insite.
i down for negativity as long as its productive, my roomate dirve a 1.8t gti and i assure you he can fuck up installing a air filter, then i gotta redo his work ussaly fixing something else i find fucked up in the process too. so i give him alotta shit for dumb ideas n such.

Wow screw paying 3k for a rebuilt trans learn to rebuild them( i'm working on this) or do the senseable thing junkyard boxes at least in my area go for about 75$ i have about 3 atm, this is my soulution till i find something that handles the power better.

and yes my car is only driver maybe once a week on a nice day durring the summer. so if it turn into a dyno queen/show car i'm oh k with that i just really love my 2 c900's my parents have tried for the last almost 10yrs to get me to sell them both, they always give me stuff for essing around with those old saab's...
anyhow,has ne got ne more info on this head swap??? whats the easiest way to do a manifold?? should i do any head work this time around???
also anyone have any luck with Scanwests tranny's?? i've heard they build a pretty stout box.
Wookiee
it's only fun building saabs when u break them...

www.snailspeedcarclub.com western pa's only all forced induction car club

1990 SPG "Kaos" the project that some day will be completed
1987 SPG clone "Wookiee"
1987 Buick beater DD
i want a NG as a DD

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am

I know that Luke's manifold involved alot of work, something about cutting it apart to port match the head, then welding it all back together, this was a 2.1 intake IIRC.
That information may have been on the old server I'm not 100% sure. The build pictures from the 1st engine may have that stuff too.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby happyandy » Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 am

with 400 HP why not just fab a single speed direct drive gear box with a realy tall final drive? :!:
maybee wookie will be the one to push the reproduction S&R gear kit into production? :woohoo: I haven't broken a c900 gear box yet but I fear my luck will run out soon.(I have worn one out at 250K miles though)
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be easier to use a T5 intake than to do all the mods needed to use the 2.1 intake? :?:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri May 02, 2008 8:14 am

happyandy wrote:forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be easier to use a T5 intake than to do all the mods needed to use the 2.1 intake? :?:

The B2X4 blocks are not slanted like the C900 blocks, and hence the manifold does not have enough curve to clear the hood...

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”