circle track 2.1

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: circle track 2.1

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 pm

tirediron wrote:now that you mention it I remember that being discussed somewhere. ive got a t-5 head in stock anyways.
does anyone have pictures of a 2.1 intake ported for use with a t5 head?

It takes more than porting. Though the 2.1 intake will bolt in place the actual ports are significantly misaligned.
I am the 73%

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 pm

after some research, I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with a t5 head. at least not if I am winning....
this doesn't rule out me using this setup, but I need to be prepared when tech gives me the boot. I know from others that race this series that tech is very thorough. they WILL pull heads on site for tech purposes....

i purchased an ng900 tonight for t5 purposes. i already have a 9-3 but it was cheap and i figured i needed a 13th vehicle in my yard.
was looking at the intake manifold on this. i could make an adapter to use a holley 350 on this no problem. clearly it would need to be canted to account for the angle of the engine in a c900, but i don't think that would be much of an issue. i know, i know, i'm still going to run t5 on something to start, but could there be gains with t5 head/ carb vs 2.1 head with t5? i dunno.
-matt

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:53 pm

With N/A it's all in the ignition control. You can't really do that with a distributor. With Fueling , carbs are just as good if set up for race conditions, but they also won't save your motor if they run lean or your pump goes out like T5 will.

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

oh i am definitely aware of the advantages of t5. pump gas wouldn't even be in question with a carb considering the compression i am planning on running. i am simply trying to be open to any option i have. many guys with vw's and mustangs make exceptional power with carburetors.

i talked briefly with brad schaffner of kc saab a number of years ago about his mini stock circle track car. at the time he was making around 180hp with a 2.1 8v and a holley 350. what intake he used i don't know, but it looks like a lot of fabrication to get a factory c900 intake to accept a carb.

of course, if i could use a ng 900 intake and t5, that would make my job a hell of a lot easier. hell, i can run a massive cowl hood if i want too....
-matt

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 am

getting back to parts and pieces relating to this build. has anyone run a 9-3/ng900 intake in a c900? if not why not (pretend clearance issues don't exist)?

also, speculation as to what bad things may happen with injectors on the bottom of the intake.... fuel pooling?

did a quick and dirty cc'ing of t-5 head vs stock 2.1 tonight. looks like t-5 head has a smaller combustion chamber by 3cc's before I even cut it. more compression right out of the gate, I like.
-matt

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:34 pm

I don't immediately see why running an NG-900 / 9-3 manifold on a C-900 would pose any problem if you are willing to cut a hole in the hood and make a large scoop / hood bulge piece. The injectors should still be on the top. Custom parts? you might need a custom throttle cable or maybe just a bracket. Re-rigging of the intake pipe as well. And of course you would still need a custom timing cover, however from what I understand the manifold is where the real hard work is involved with this T5 head swap. Thankfully on my Hill-climb car Luke made me these handy-dandy parts, and a few of the other details (motor mount bracket & Power steering bracket) were handled by Gary Reider... and now my T5 head on a C-900 2.0 turbo bottom end works just great!

I think the reason why no one has ever done it? Once you are that far in, making a manifold that actually fits, or paying for getting one made that fits isn't all that much more of a big deal, and most people probably don't want to run with a big manifold sticking out of their hood.

I think this might actually be a great idea for our lemons car though. Just a though...
Less brake more gas!

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 pm

just brainstorming really. the 9-3 throttle body is quite a bit bigger. thought the whole setup may have hp advantages. not to mention an easy bolt up. everything else I need to adapt is easy.

as far as a lemons car this sort of manifold out the hood thing is pretty much encouraged anyways isn't it?
-matt

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:38 pm

tirediron wrote:as far as a lemons car this sort of manifold out the hood thing is pretty much encouraged anyways isn't it?

Welp... this might be the new plan. That and a 9-5 aero TD04... and 1.25 bar boost? will the trans hold for a race? could be the fastest car on track...
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Jordan, we could change the theme to : " SAAB parts scattered in the wind". Although some thing like that could set a fastest lap of the day before requiring a transmission change.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Is there a spot where they shoot your straight line radar speeds? That's where we'd have it ;)
Less brake more gas!

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes !! In Nevada. Bonneville Salt Flats. New C900 Land speed record !!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 am

The trick is to set the fastest lap time AND NOT scatter parts.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:22 am

Consistently laying down clean solid laps, instead of spending time in the pits...
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:16 pm

or getting black-flagged
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”