Tech 2 Clones

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Tech 2 Clones

Postby hutch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:34 am

Has anyone picked up one of these cheap Tech II clones, and if so what are your experiences?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-free ... 00beecc85c

I'm tempted to buy one since they cost the same as a few hours of diagnostic work at a shop but they seem to be sort of hit and miss in the quality department.

It would mostly be useful for my Viggen but does anyone know if they can clear SRS/ABS codes for older 900s? I've read that they work back to '89 cars and they look to have a similar plug but most of the discussion is geared towards 9-3 and 9-5 diagnostics...

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Tech 2 Clones

Postby gmreider » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Hutch, you can always come and use my tech 2 with your issues. I'm not that far away.

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 pm

You have a real one, correct?

I'll have to check it out when I head up there, hopefully this week. I sort of wanted to pick one up so I could keep my Saabs on the road for the foreseeable future but I'm not sold on the quality of these knockoffs and how often I'd actually end up using them.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:32 pm

yes mine is real and I have the stuff to use on C900 back to 1990.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:29 pm

That is really tempting - free shipping and a memory card. I will probably cave and buy one of these today and report back. I've been reading that the clones are getting better and better, and I think I'll probably have a 9-5 for a while longer.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 pm

I have two clones, one I got a while ago, they look identical to the genuine versions, but one ended up not working, and I couldn't figure out why. I got another clone that was verified working and it turned out it was just the PCMCIA card that was bad or the wrong type and could not be written with correct software.

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 pm

DrewP wrote:That is really tempting - free shipping and a memory card. I will probably cave and buy one of these today and report back. I've been reading that the clones are getting better and better, and I think I'll probably have a 9-5 for a while longer.
I'd love to hear your experience with it if you decide to get one. From briefly reading over on saabcentral it seems like the cheapest ones from that website have iffy customer support if you get a bad unit, people said something about payment not going through to the seller until you verify the unit so they suggested putting it through its paces before you do that. But for the price it is mighty tempting, thats for sure...

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:44 pm

I can't get AliExpress to take any of my credit or debit cards, which seems to be a really common problem with them. Still trying to figure it out, will report back if I get one.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I finally got my payment to go through with a bank wire transfer, so we'll see how long it takes to actually go through.

With bank and wire fees I ended up paying ~$326 shipped and it supposedly includes a v148 Saab card. Crossing my fingers.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”