Exhaust Tubing Expander

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Exhaust Tubing Expander

Postby hutch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of these tools?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 69549.html

Reviews of these tools in general are sort of lousy so I can't decide if its a better idea to get a lousy one from Harbor Freight and assume it will break or splurge and hope some of the better ones last. The exhaust piece I'm hoping to use it on is just barely too small from being crushed slightly with an exhaust clamp, but its stainless so its pretty strong so I'm skeptical a cheapo tool would work. Do anyone of you guys have any recommendations for these?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Exhaust Tubing Expander

Postby DrewP » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 pm

I usually just buy stubs with ID/OD slip fits and weld them on, and then use wraparound type clamps rather than those U clamps that smoosh the tubes so I can get it apart again later.

You might want to just take your bent one to a muffler shop - they usually have big hydraulic powered expanders since they use them so often, and I bet they'd open it up a little for you for next to nothing.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:46 pm

I have one of those tools. It sort of works. It is better used when you just need to slightly massage a connection to fit as it really doesnt have the power to truly expand a pipe.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Thats why I was hoping it would work, this had previously been opened up to allow for a slip fit but got crushed a little bit, so I figured it wouldn't need much 'massaging' to get to work. But its sort of thick stainless so its pretty strong...

And yeah Drew I had thought about taking it to a shop, but adding to the tool collection is always fun :thumbsup: I'll be stopping by Harbor Freight to hopefully pick one up tonight but if it doesn't work I'll be bringing it to a local shop who's done some work for me before.

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Picked one up tonight at Harbor Freight, one of the two o-rings disintegrated, like immediately :crazy: , but I flipped the expanding part around and it worked like a charm. Wish I had picked one up before I tried bending it manually but I'd definitely recommend one to anyone if you're ever building an exhaust.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Nice!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”