Adjustable panhard rod mounting

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Adjustable panhard rod mounting

Postby spgftw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 am

I'm about to finally install this 9sport panhard rod, and am unsure about drilling out the mounting holes. I drilled them out to match the bolt, but discovered the rest of the hardware is too wide to rest between the mounting flanges. Hope the photo shows what I'm looking at. Should I drill further or bend out these flanges a bit?
Many thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Adjustable panhard rod mounting

Postby Jordan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:42 am

How much wider is it?

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:17 am

Quite a bit- enough to make me wonder...
Attachments
image.jpg

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

At the car:
Attachments
image.jpg

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:44 pm

My opinion you do not want to spread the flanges. The design philosophy is correct not to clamp up the flange. The bushings need less stack height. You can shorten the bushings via lathe (aka belt sander).

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:50 am

I think I had Luke turn my spacers down on his lathe.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:21 am

Great, I'll turn these down a bit. I didn't like the idea of bending anything to force a fit. Thanks for the help & here's to FINALLY starting to put this car back together. :P

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 am

I just bent mine out. I'm probably an idiot. It didn't seem that far off though. Wish I had taken the time to blast and paint everything like yours - looks really good!

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:40 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:I just bent mine out. I'm probably an idiot. It didn't seem that far off though. Wish I had taken the time to blast and paint everything like yours - looks really good!

I would not worry too much. Growing up in the aerospace industry it has been pounded into us that preload is bad for fatigue and longevity. In this case the mild steel is very ductile unlike high strength aluminum or steels. For future reference when you bend it out like that you create a V (exaggerated) instead of a U. so as the bolt goes thru there it is only bearing on the tangents instead of the majority of the bore. Unless you reamed it in its formed shape. Now you could joggle the flange on both legs and you would be in business. So for you all rolling your eyes saying "what a frinking geek." It is all about good design practices and the reason we mod these cars, or we would just leave them stock.

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:05 pm

is the adjustability just to center the axle after changing ride height?

bit off topic but has anyone messed much with the mounting height of either end to change handling?
-matt

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting my own duplicate....

Hopefully going to install one of these this weekend and wanted to ask some opinions from those that have installed one of them so far.

1) Is a step bit the easiest way to enlarge the mounting holes?

2) Is bending the 'ears' a bit still considered OK? I don't have a belt sander but plenty of extra sandpaper from my guitar project that I could tape to a table to create an Amish Belt Sander (I am from PA Dutch land after all)

3. Since part of the bonus of these is adjustability, does anyone have suggestions on how to set it up? I was going to just throw it on as it came but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am

hutch wrote:
1) Is a step bit the easiest way to enlarge the mounting holes?

2) Is bending the 'ears' a bit still considered OK? I don't have a belt sander but plenty of extra sandpaper from my guitar project that I could tape to a table to create an Amish Belt Sander (I am from PA Dutch land after all)

3. Since part of the bonus of these is adjustability, does anyone have suggestions on how to set it up? I was going to just throw it on as it came but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

A step drill is a good choice as it will cut a round hole. In sheet metal a twist drill will cut a figure 8 shape because the material is too thin. A step drill will also self center on the existing hole.

Bending that mild steel is fine. I personally would try to joggle the legs to keep the ears parallel and allow the bushings to slip in will minimal preload. But that is me.
I would also drill to the correct size after you reshape the ears.
You would be there a month of Sundays with hand sanding those bushings.

I took a guess at getting it in the ballpark. Maybe 1/2" shorter than stock? Get the weight on the wheels and get out the string and measure. The beauty of the LH and RH threads you can dial it in. Don't forget to jounce the car between measurement/adjustments.

Good luck. Drilling while the axle is on car can be challenging, but so is disassemble and reassembly.

hutch

Postby hutch » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Cool, thank you for the advice!

Got a little busy dealing with dash lights in the other car today but I may give this a shot tomorrow. I also remembered I have a 1/2" chassis punch from a previous project that should work quite well and be easier to fit than a drill in the hard to reach areas. I think I'll stick with bending then, I have an angle grinder I could use to trim them but I can't imagine it'd do a good job :lol:

I'm also planning to swap in some Bilsteins I've had on the shelf for a while and some extended trailing arms, hopefully all of the above will help with some tire rub on the left rear wheel. Not sure if I'll take off all the brake lines and remove the axle completely or not but I'm hoping I'll get a little extra room to work.

Blue Jello Rain
Nickname: Aryl
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Blue Jello Rain » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Anyone happen to have one that isn't on the car currently?

Mine needs some replacement joints as it's doing the sideways clunk again, it would be easier if I knew the size of the threads so I don't have to remove it just to check.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am

5/8"-18 with a 5/8 Hole

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”