T5 Wiring Harness Help

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: T5 Wiring Harness Help

Postby KPAero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting set-up with the cables and hardware to tune T5? I'd like to get the Can-Bus cable to do live tuning and what is needed to flash the ecu's. There is a way to do the later part using a ecu plug and taping into a few of the wires that would be nice. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this end of things and could use some direction on what to buy. I don't plan on tuning myself, but would like to have the hardware to do so.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I think that MikeD who posts on SaabLink had offered to build flashing setups for people who were asking, otherwise you sort of have to sift through the ECUProject site and figure out what other people are using. Most people I've seen are all using different equipment depending on what sort of computer you have access to and what I/O ports it has.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I just got a CANUSB adapter in the mail today... results to follow :)

dmgb5
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby dmgb5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 pm

KPAero wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for getting set-up with the cables and hardware to tune T5? I'd like to get the Can-Bus cable to do live tuning and what is needed to flash the ecu's. There is a way to do the later part using a ecu plug and taping into a few of the wires that would be nice. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this end of things and could use some direction on what to buy. I don't plan on tuning myself, but would like to have the hardware to do so.

You need to buy a lawicel can usb adapter, solder a resistor across the can H and can L pins, and build a cable that connects the can usb (db9) to the SFI socket on the harness. You can hard flash the ecu with can usb so long as you can apply 15v programming voltage during the flash or you can soft flash changes to the sram anytime and save the changes to your laptop for a later hard flash via can or bdm.

The flash chips are delicate. I don't flash the ecu unless I'm sure I want to keep the changes.

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:21 pm

http://www.trionictuning.com/forum/view ... ?f=44&t=75

I just came across this, a USB based BDM so you don't have to run an ancient laptop to get it running. I'm not entirely sure how to make one but from what I gather that johnc guy on there sells them, though I'm not sure where he is located. I was thinking of shooting him a message when I'm a little closer to needing to start flashing.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I got the system (and car) up and running using the USB adapter today. So far I checked I was able to do real-time monitoring and downloading the bin off of the ECM but I didn't have much time to play with it. Right now I just have the programming voltage hooked to the ignition, but I will see if that needs to be changed or not.

Mike D
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Mike D » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Jordan wrote:I looked at Mike's post on Saablink and it looks like a wire bomb. Kudos for making it work, but not the prettiest install (which he acknowledges). I'd be willing to do whatever, I just need to look at a specific harness and make a plan. It sounds like the mid year NG harnesses are the best to use vs one from a 9000 in terms of wire length for a c900.

If its a standard bosch-style one you can get them in diode suppression form...but I'd have to check them out.

scrolling though old post and i saw this

i wonder if he realises that when i did that, i was a college student who was working out of his dorm room, with 0 previously written documents to follow. i left wiring exposed because if/when a fault happened it made it easier to trace. And many of those first photos were taken between the time i got it running, and the closest saab show (swedish car day) i started the project 2 weeks prior to the show, and a good friend bet me i wouldn't be able to drive the car there on trionic. I won the bet.

sadly some of the photos that went down with saabphotos were the engine bay after i cleaned it all up. i ended up hiding all the wiring under the intake manifold, and moving the ECU from being bolted to the HVAC system duct, to the APC box location, ect ect ect. it was a rolling test bed for an idea that had barely been explored before. not a beauty queen

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Well I know I feel better.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:11 am

OK I'm bumping this thread because I am going to embark on building a new harness and there is some good info here. Luckily I can copy the nice harness Jordan made for my SPG for lengths and verifying wiring but I may make a few changes as well. A few questions as I plan some things out...

Are the fuel and main relays that need to be adapted for the T5 harness 5 wire? I can't find the spare relays Jordan threw in when we did the swap and its too cold to be digging around in my SPG :P

And as far as the diode protection in the T5 relays, I was looking at some aftermarket ideas and and was thinking about something like this:

They offer this description of it:
Pigtail: 12" long
Coil Wires: 16 AWG GPT
Switch Wires: 10 AWG TXL (N.O. = blue, N.C. = green, C = Brown)
5-Wire Waterproof Relay Socket with Diode Protection
Ideal for relays controlled by an ECU.
Same as WPRLYSCKT2 with diode across coil. Not Pictured.
Does that sound right if I wanted to wire them into a T5 harness?

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:32 pm

The wire gauges are certainly heavy enough. 10 GA for the power in and out and 16GA for the oils is plenty heavy. Do the relays come with the harness and what is their rating?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 pm

yeah that is a little over-kill I use 12ga for high current and 20ga or the triggers. I'd say for the cost of the DIY kit, and the labor already done, you can't really beat it. Cost of materials is pretty high on all that stuff. Just my opinion.

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:14 pm

Hmm good to know its a little overkill... and yeah Jordan I'm still debating whether to just get the eeuro DIY kit or extend my harness. It doesn't seem like it would be insanely difficult to do since I have the one you built to compare it with. But as you're well aware the minimum order price for a lot of the extra stuff adds up real fast, not to mention the kit decreasing the probability I screw it all up o_O :lol:

This was just sort of one of them I was looking at, I got the idea from 99sven's install since its somewhat of a tight fit in the stock location

Heres the website:
https://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/re ... noids.html
And the specs
Type: SPDT
C to N.C.: 20 Amps continuous
C to N.O.: 40 Amps continuous
Coil Voltage: 12 VDC
Coil Current: Approx 170 mA
That is a couple bucks more than other places, they also sell DIY kits but for like $5 I'd just have them do it :dunno:

You can pick up generic Hella harnesses and relays on amazon for a few bucks cheaper that would probably do the job just fine too...
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H84709001-W ... 7DQP8RRH0R

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Jordan wrote:yeah that is a little over-kill I use 12ga for high current and 20ga or the triggers. I'd say for the cost of the DIY kit, and the labor already done, you can't really beat it. Cost of materials is pretty high on all that stuff. Just my opinion.

Question on the eeuro DIY harness:
1) All connectors and pins included? The multi pin ecu connector too?
2) AMP junior timer version or the newer with the secondary slide that pulls the plug and jack together?
3) Wire cut length to allow mounting the ecu in the stock location, in cabin, by the right side wheel well?
4) which boost control valve plug? T5 or T7?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:22 pm

1) yes
2) junior timer on all but slide connector on t7 bpc and DI
3) stock location
4) t7

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Jordan wrote:1) yes
2) junior timer on all but slide connector on t7 bpc and DI
3) stock location
4) t7

Bitchin. That is the perfect setup.
I sent an email to the eeuro support and Zak replied the the same but was a bit unsure on the connector type. It is a bit tricky question with the dic. The cps can also be the new type.
I have someone asking to do the install for him and the kit is great option make a new bundle inlieu of a pull a part bundle. Not as cheap, but brand new and you learn what and where each wire does and goes.
Thanks for the reply.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”