T5 Wiring Harness Help

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: T5 Wiring Harness Help

Postby hutch » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:45 am

squaab99t wrote:Not as cheap, but brand new and you learn what and where each wire does and goes.
Exactly what I'm thinking, I could cobble together an OEM harness but the costs for all the misc stuff add up and this way I know it's done with high quality parts (though assembled by a hack :lol:) and should last a long time. Plus it's a great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the system, which will make it a fun project.

I'm getting excited to build mine :yay:

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Got mine in this weekend and have it about 70% completed so far, if anyone is on the fence this is definitely a great option if you're looking for a T5 install!

I know people on this board are particularly good at making things from complete scratch but if you're looking for an option that takes a lot of the guess work out I'd definitely recommend this. I'll post some pictures up once I have it totally finished...

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 pm

hutch wrote:Got mine in this weekend and have it about 70% completed so far, if anyone is on the fence this is definitely a great option if you're looking for a T5 install!

I know people on this board are particularly good at making things from complete scratch but if you're looking for an option that takes a lot of the guess work out I'd definitely recommend this. I'll post some pictures up once I have it totally finished...

Good on yah. Electric work is always challenging for me, but the more you do the better you get at it. A good multimeter is a must.
The best thing is you will have a brand new wire bundle and not an oil vaporeed and/or heat soaked 15 year old harness with corroded connectors.

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Definitely agree with the multimeter, it was annoying while I was doing it but I was checking continuity on all the wires I assembled for cheap insurance and to save a headache down the road.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:15 pm

12v test light, multi meter, jumper wires, and paper clips...wiring trouble shooting diagnosis kit
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Alright after some delays I think I have mine all ready to go, and I only ended up with one extra wire :crazy:

I've checked a 9k wiring diagram and all the wires seem accounted for so I'll need to check with Jordan but I think it should be easy to figure out... Anyway, if anyone is thinking of building one of these I made a quick little excel spreadsheet with wire colors and connector/ECU pin #'s if you want to double check anything. I swapped in a T5 O2 sensor and CANBUS (and switched the wire colors by accident) connectors but tried to make the changes apparent. I had to switch it to a PDF, it made a little more sense in Excel but I couldn't upload it in that format...
Attachments
DIY Harness Pinout PDF.pdf
(50.38 KiB) Downloaded 4326 times

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Working on a new harness and have one question.

H33-4 Pin 23. What is the purpose of supplying +15 power to this lead? WIS says this leads to the ECU Pin 59 which is A/C In.

Luke's diagram shows supplying +15 to this pin.

It seems this ECU input exists to tell the ECU to adjust idle when the AC compressor kicks on. I don't think I need to include this pin as I have no AC in the car.

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:19 pm

jdwertz wrote:Working on a new harness and have one question.

H33-4 Pin 23. What is the purpose of supplying +15 power to this lead? WIS says this leads to the ECU Pin 59 which is A/C In.

Luke's diagram shows supplying +15 to this pin.

It seems this ECU input exists to tell the ECU to adjust idle when the AC compressor kicks on. I don't think I need to include this pin as I have no AC in the car.

Don't run power to pin 59 unless you connect it to the A/C.

If you do, you will have an erratic idle. Experience with my own conversion has taught me this.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I will exclude this pin.

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm

jdwertz wrote:Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I will exclude this pin.
Completely unrelated, but the terminal removal tool I bought from you has been invaluable to my harness building efforts, do you happen to have a part number or any clue where to get one for the smaller terminals on the harness? Jamming various paper clips and whatnot is getting really old and I would gladly pay for the proper tool...

Chouan

Postby Chouan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 am

I'm also interested in the info on those pin tools. I have one that is just folded steel with a simple riveted slide mechanism. Its really terrible and I'd like to replace it with something that works better.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Micro Timer (T5 ECU connector-smaller pins): TE Connectivity 539960-1

Good luck finding them cheap, they are expensive everywhere.

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Yikes, $75+ buys a lot of paperclips :lol:

Thanks for the Part # though, I'll have to weigh how often I use it vs the annoyance factor to see if I ever pick one up. Maybe we need to chip in and buy an official Saabrally tool and just pass it around :lol:

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm

I thought there was an inexpensive version that worked pretty well from Amazon. That is what I recall anway, I no longer make mistakes , so I don't need them ;)

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 am

I haven't found anything yet for the Micro Timer series

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”