Adding OBD Connector

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Adding OBD Connector

Postby hutch » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 pm

I think I have asked this question before but wanted to double check before I go ahead and order them...

I want to add OBD ports for my T5 900's and was going to run to the junkyard and grab them but realized I may not get around to that for a while and since the whole idea behind OBDII is that they are universal I figured I'd just order something online. Since I need 2 of them can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't just get this splitter and cut the two female connectors off?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotag-Splitter-A ... 98WBPHVYDV

And then I have another question about the pinout, doesn't pin 56 go to the fuel pump? Do you just splice it in so the OBD is powered up when the car is turned on?

OBD 2
7............................Pin 33 ECU
14..........................Pin 56 ECU
4 and 5...................Ground
16..........................Switched power (+15)

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Adding OBD Connector

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

My 2 cents...

If you have a laptop with T5 suite the OBD connector seems like a bit of a redundancy. I decided to leave this off my harness build.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Adding OBD Connector

Postby hutch » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Very valid points, and I certainly agree the T5suite is a little more powerful with what all you can monitor in real-time, but its sort of nice just to be able to pop on the reader and see whats going on. Not to mention it costs about $5 a piece, though I'll bet wiring it to the harness thats already installed is going to be a bit of a pain. My main motivation for doing this is I lent my Combi adaptor out and my (supposedly) legitimate Windows OS I installed into my Mac is now telling me its not authorized so I can't do any tuning or monitoring. o_O

In case anyone is curious I'd definitely recommend the splitter I linked to from Amazon, for some reason they are two slightly different connectors but they fit just fine and have the nice little tubing sheath to protect the wires.

And just leaving this here for myself for future reference since I was confused (seems to be a common theme :lol:) which direction the pins were numbered from...

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”