New Hill climb motor for "RED"

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

New Hill climb motor for "RED"

Postby gmreider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Let me starts by saying I am a copy cat of sorts. Why re- invent everything?
following Luke's lead I purchased some Molnar Toyota rods and made a jig to recut the rod bearing tabs on the other sides and with a different setback. Not being up to Luke's skills , I took my time and measured and checked a bunch before actually cutting into the $ 400.00 worth of rods. Photos show how I set up in my little bench mill.
Since I am a turbo kind of guy, I went the other way with compression ratio settling @ 8.75 to 1. I had Ross Pistons do the job. They are 94 mm bore and the pins are set .040 inches higher due to the rods being .040 longer. So the Rods are about 6 oz. lighter and the pistons are almost 4 oz. lighter.

Been fooling around with the last of the S& R 4speed gear sets from eEuroparts.com and have that done with the quaife in place. Put in back in the car with last years motor and rigged up a prototype shifter similar to Luke's that I got from Jordan for building a motor for the AER car. Only drove it a mile or two because of snow and mud, but I think it may do the job.
So now I am going to send the pistons off to Swain coatings for top coatings and some skirt coatings and then bore a block.
Hope to put it all together before early May. Maybe we will go faster yet?
Attachments
Rod jig 2.jpg
Rod jig.jpg
Rod and piston.jpg
Piston.jpg

Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: New Hill climb motor for "RED"

Postby Krizzie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 pm

94mm, that's 2.2L or so?

What power are we looking at here?

Cool project!
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Awesome!

Hope I'll be able to see these in person sometime before they get hidden in an engine :thumbsup:

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am

[quote="Krizzie"]94mm, that's 2.2L or so?

What power are we looking at here?

With the existing T-5 , larger intercooler and 3 inch exhaust and the GT 28 RS ball bearing turbo, I think I can make 250 @ the wheels and could probably make 300. Mostly I want a more bullet proof Short block , so piston melting stops and maybe get some quicker revving from the reciprocating weight loss.
I seem to remember from my calculations that the disp. will be 2167 cc.

And Hutch, I don't think it will be together before mid to late March. so plenty time to see the pieces. If you promise to sit down, I can tell you what it all costs. LOL

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm

How is the GT28RS doing? I'm having that on my upgrade list as well. Probably faster spooling than the stock TE05 and more breath up top (Will be using a full 3" intake and exhaust to minimize restriction)

I just got a rebuilt engine with 90.5mm Ross pistons (stock rods) and it revs much happier than the old engine did.
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

IF you buy a GT28 and replace your Mitsubishi TE-05, I guarantee you will scare yourself the first time you put your foot down.
Go on you tube and type in Gary Reider. I think there is still a bunch of in car video from hill climbs. watch some and you will see how the car just pulls.
The conversion takes some plumbing work as the turbo intake is 3 " and the oil pipe needs adjustment and the oil drain pipe needs a work over. If you ever start to do the swap, let me know and I'll take some pictures of my setup and save you some work.

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I did some homework for that already.

-Water is easy
-Oil feed is easy (Do you run a restrictor btw?)
-Oil return I have an idea for http://i66.tinypic.com/a2u2rb.jpg
-Intake will be full 3", already have the piping and silicone bend for that.
-Exhaust will be full 3" with v-band clamp and ultimate wastegate: http://www.himni-racing.com/images/attributes/5_bolt%20to%20v-band%20internal%20wastegate%20front.jpg

Already have a 3" downpipe so it only needs a v-band clamp if I'm lucky.

Planning on the GT2860RS with T3 exhaust housing with the 5 bolt ford-style patern.

Now to find a bag of money to fund that operation. :lol:

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:34 pm

--Oil feed is easy (Do you run a restrictor btw?)

Yes they recommend a restrictor for oil flow. And I use a ford type 5 bolt cover with a 3 " V band. Still use an internal waste gate door in the 5 bolt cover.
Sounds like you are fully covered for installation. Like you say just need to money.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Good looking stuff and work. Can you post the p/n of the Moulnar con rod and/ or the Toyota application?

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:52 pm

squaab99t wrote:Good looking stuff and work. Can you post the p/n of the Moulnar con rod and/ or the Toyota application?

Dennis the Molnar rods fit a Toyota Molnar lists it as a 2ZR-FE 2.4 L.
Anyway the parts number was TH5315AJNB4-A @ 403.82. I shopped around for distributors and paid about $384.00 and free shipping.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Gary-

That looks like it's going to be an awesome build! Amazing how much mass is removed!
That's a project I really want to do myself, someday, likely for my next short-block build (next year?).
Thanks for posting the part #'s, etc.!
In the meantime, I'm done looking for HP and adding lightness...

John

speedysaab
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby speedysaab » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:48 am

do you mind me asking how much the pistons were?

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:52 am

speedysaab wrote:do you mind me asking how much the pistons were?

Pistons with pins , and a custom ring set was $752.00 to my door.
If you want pistons made, you the buyer needs to do some calculations for the manufacturer, and you better double check your measuring and math.

The skirt coatings and the piston top heat shield coatings will be about $200.00 more. I'll post a picture when they come back from Swain Tech.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Finally got my pistons back from Swain Tech coatings. The second photo shows the grayish white ceramic top coat that is about .003 thick. keeps the piston much cooler.

the other photo shows the skirt coating that keeps scuffing down to almost ZERO. that coating is about .0008 thick , so adds about .015 to the piston diameter.

And then the cost was $ 40.00 per piston plus UPS.

Next post will be putting it together again.
Attachments
0308170851_resized.jpg
skirt coating
0308170852a_resized.jpg

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Well I finally put all the pieces together and put the motor and the 4 speed S& R non synchro gear box back in RED. Raining like crazy here so no road testing. I had the S & R box in the car last month with an older so -so motor so I could get a feel for it.
The motor has the forged lite rods and the forged coated pistons and I used both a Dennis Lin crank pickup on the damper and a eEuroparts 14 pound flywheel pickup . It's called backup. Motor fired right up and was quiet in about 20 seconds. I made up a home made pre-luber a while back and that helps with less start up wear.
Anyway thought I would share my progress. Included some photos and one for the sponsor.
This will be the fourth season running SCCA / PHA track trials and Hill Climbs. I have won the Season class championship in 2014 & 2016. This year will be what ever it is?
Attachments
0331171615c_resized.jpg
0331171616_resized.jpg
0331171615b_resized.jpg
0331171615_resized.jpg

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”