New Safety gear

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

New Safety gear

Postby 99Super » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:21 pm

This year the Northwest Hillclimb Assoc. is requiring all drivers to have HANS-type devices if the car is in a class that allows R-compound tires.

My helmet was new last year, a proper M rather than the SA's I've usually used. I just bought a Stand-21 HANS (+ mounting studs) and new 5-Point harness to go with it. About $500 worth of updates...

I guess a Nomex suit is next.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: New Safety gear

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 am

Best investment you can make is in your health.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:41 pm

The Hans is pricey but should help prevent your neck from serious damage. They don't really impede your head movement too much but do take some getting used to. If/when you need a new harness I suggest getting the one designed for the Hans as it will stay in place much better.
I am the 73%

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Am I the only person that feels like the 3in belts actually work better with the HANS (brand) device than the 2" Hans belts?

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

KPAero wrote:Am I the only person that feels like the 3in belts actually work better with the HANS (brand) device than the 2" Hans belts?

After test-fitting mine, the 3" web covers the entire 'arm' of the HANS and feels pretty solid there. One of the reasons I decided to keep the 3", even though I had ordered the taper 2"...

John

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I think it might depend partially on the seat you are using, your fit in that seat, and how your body is shaped. When I have used the Hans in the past I always found the wider belts were a pain to get in place and it felt like they wanted to move out on me. However I also figured out after a while that all the seats I had been using were much too short...such that the belts were actually rising up through the seat to my shoulders and instead of pulling me back in the seat they were trying to compress me down and back....which is really tiring. I then set out to find a seat that fit and I figuratively scoured the entire world. I found one seat that is pretty close and I had to order it from England. Its a Corbeau Revenge iirc and cost about $800 + another $300 for shipping. Then we stopped rallying, everyone bought houses, and I've been too busy to try it out since then.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”