DCOE EFI throttle bodys?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

DCOE EFI throttle bodys?

Postby paulh » Sun May 20, 2007 8:29 pm

so i noticed some sort of v8 kit car or something at carlisle that had what looked like weber DCOE style throttle bodys, and it got me thinking...so i just did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/fuelinjection.htm

Weber DCOE fuel injection throttle body. Available in 40 mm or 45 mm. Linkage on right or left hand side.

and heres a 2002 with the setup im thinking of, a set of these DCOE throttle bodys, and megasquirt.

so am i nuts? MSS sells a DCOE manifold for the B-motor right? this might be a bit simpler than trying to rig up ITB's from a motorcycle.

Paul

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun May 20, 2007 8:54 pm

No definatly not nuts. There are several ITB's available that fit the DCOE pattern since its so common. I can't find my demon tweaks catalog but there were a couple in there. They are more $$$$ than ebay motorcycle ones though, and since there is no 16V DCOE manifold available (that I am aware of) it makes sense to use the motorcycle ones for the 16V. For the 8V I think the MSS manifold and the DCOE bodies with megasquirt would make a great setup, Just might be a little pricey.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun May 20, 2007 8:55 pm

heres another kind, think these are the ones the 2002 i linked to is using

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBod ... dy-FR.html

i suppose this way would probably end up being quite a bit more expensive than a set of ebay motorcycle throttlebodys though.

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun May 20, 2007 10:12 pm

here is a snippet for custom pricing Luke...

This is an example of a "one off" kit we have recently built for the 2.3L Duratec Engine fitted to the Mazda 3 series and the Ford Focus. Our CAD/CAM software enable us to create a billet manifold to which we attached four of our 3006 Throttles. This particular kit has the high-mount injectors.

As a price guide, to design and manufacture a manifold like this with the throttles and a single set of fuel rails, air horns, and linkage costs approximately $4,500.00.

:D :shock:

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun May 20, 2007 10:29 pm

:lol: yeah their prices are laughable, the only way i would go this route would be if i could get the DCOE replacement TB's real cheap, and from the looks of it theyre like $400 each! definitely not the budget route. probably just stick to some ebay motorcycle ones. i really need to get on with the megasquirt, D-Jet is just too weird i can tell its gonna leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere soon.

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 21, 2007 7:09 am

Even the MSS manifold to DCOE's is $400+

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Re: DCOE EFI throttle bodys?

Postby Geoff » Mon May 21, 2007 8:45 am

paulh wrote:http://www.piercemanifolds.com/fuelinjection.htm

Weber DCOE fuel injection throttle body. Available in 40 mm or 45 mm. Linkage on right or left hand side.

oh, rad!

We need a DCOE manifold for 16 valves...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 21, 2007 8:48 am

I need to get a 16v manifold in on the CMM then I can accuarately draw up the manifold plates in solidworks and have them cut out on the water jet. I need to draw up some plates for my new intake and if luke sends me some dimensions i will draw him up some as well.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon May 21, 2007 8:53 am

I keep thinking about drawing up a 16V manifold for the DCOE setup. Then one could be built with a rapid prototyping machine, they have metal rapid prototyping now. I haven't done it yet because the cost would probably be prohibitive and I haven't learned as much as I probably should about proper intake manifold design.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 21, 2007 8:57 am

of course the other option...which is even cheaper...would just be to cut off the intake runners and machine the stock flange flat. There are more intakes lying around then we know what to do with.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon May 21, 2007 9:12 am

hence the 3D printer option being cost prohibitive

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 21, 2007 9:37 am

I agree the easiest and cheapest thing to do is modify existing manifolds. The runners would be very complicated to fabricate from scratch because they taper thoughout the bend from round to oval. I can do a 16V DCOE manifold no problem, I had already started mocking one up with an extra weber I had while I was working on groo's setup.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 am

How is the MSS manifold made? is it a mold that Jack made and has produced?

A lot of modern intakes are made from hi-grade plastics.. is that an option?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 am

jordan wrote:How is the MSS manifold made? is it a mold that Jack made and has produced?

A lot of modern intakes are made from hi-grade plastics.. is that an option?

Yes, the MSS piece is pressure cast aluminum. A very nice casting IMO. They were probably done in a large batch a long time ago and I'm betting when Jack sells out there won't be anymore. There is that company in sweden still producing though.

As for the injection molding: Not on my car.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon May 21, 2007 10:19 am

yeah, neons have plastic manifolds, you dont want your car to be like a neon do you? :lol:

Paul

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”